Chapter 13: Interaction Design in Practice
| Web Resources
| In-Depth Activity Comments
| Teaching Materials
Chapter 13 in the physical book contains a number of web-based resources that support its content; the links for these resources are included below. The first set of links below point to online magazines and other sites to keep up-to-date with UX practices.
Uxpa.org is the website for the User eXperience Professionals' Association. UXPA was established in 1991 as the UPA (Usability Professionals' Association) when Usability was considered to be an umbrella term for practitioners operating in this area, and it was changed in 2012 to reflect the changes in the industry. If you want to know what's happening in the professional world of UX design, then keep an eye on this website.
Smashingmagazine.com contains up-to-date articles that are particularly of interest to professionals, for example Should you create an MVP before creating an app? and regular updates such as Web development update.
And uxplanet.com has a useful section for UX beginners, as well as articles in Spanish and Arabic.
This short comedy video illustrates the kind of frustrations that an “expert” may encounter when trying to respond to a client's request. The website it is hosted on, uxmag.com, contains other useful articles and is worth browsing, e.g. Provocation can lead to emotional design, but the site hasn’t been updated since 2018 and so the articles may no longer be curated.
Links provided in the book:
- Three challenges for UX in practice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5lLjmL278
- What a UX designer does in practice: www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/7-ux-deliverables-what-will-i-be-making-as-a-ux-designer/
- UX debt: www.nngroup.com/articles/ux-debt/
- Lean UX: youtu.be/7NkMm5WefBA
- Case studies on UX techniques used by Android: youtu.be/6MOeVNbh9cY
- Interaction design guidelines and pattern libraries:
- For Windows: developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design
- For Mac: developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines
- General UI design patterns: www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/10-great-sites-for-ui-design-patterns
- Google material design: design.google
- Humorous discussion of the hamburger icon: icons8.com/articles/most-hated-ui-ux-design-pattern/
- Discussion of the tab bar: uxplanet.org/tab-bars-are-the-new-hamburger-menus-9138891e98f4
- Discussions about the Carousel: www.nngroup.com/articles/designing-effective-carousels/ and www.nngroup.com/articles/auto-forwarding/
- Some advantages of Github: www.thebalancecareers.com/what-is-github-and-why-should-i-use-it-2071946
- An introduction to Github: product.hubspot.com/blog/git-and-github-tutorial-for-beginners
- Tools available for UX designers: